It's Been a Great Season

It's Been a Great Season
PTC Ball 2011

Friday, May 6, 2011

Testing Ground





Today is the short sprint race. I am busy getting ready. I'm nervous and excited. Last night I felt like I had the flu. David said it was pre-race jitters, so I went to bed. I woke up refreshed although I still have a cold. The race is at 3:00 at Sydney International Regatta Centre. Come watch if you like! Click on the location icon below.

~Later~

I did it! I did it! I really really did it! 500m swim/20k bike/5k run. Wow. And I wasn't last. And I didn't quit. And all those fears I had didn't materialise! And I wasn't perfect and IT DIDN'T MATTER!

I'm learning that racing is very honest. What you put in, you get out. There are no miracles on race day, but there are few robberies, either. I performed as I trained. David was there with the girls cheering me on. They were marvelous. David kept track of my time and helped me in transition. Here's how it went...

Swim: 500m. Thank God I have a wetsuit on because the water is absolutely freezing. The cold begins to radiate through the wetsuit and into my body. I am in a refrigerator. I dive in to get my head wet and, with 10 seconds to start, I forget all about the cold. 10, 9, 8...4,3, 2, 1, I swim.

At first I feel good. I am not yet a paddle wheel but I have high hopes. And this is always the place where it goes wrong. From about 50 meters in, I feel awkward and uncapable. The environment is intimidating. There are swimmers around me, next to me, in front of me. They all look professional from where I'm sitting. And I am sitting. I've stopped for 10 seconds. It turns into 20. The rest of the swim is a struggle. It's the breathing. I am just trying to get through it and I use all the tricks I have learned so far...breath every stroke. Breath every 3 strokes. Take big breaths. Keep your feet moving. Lead with the hips. The trouble is I can't coordinate it all. It's disheartening. But I keep going. I do my best to swim with good technique. I hear David on the side yelling, "Use your feet!". I veer to the right over and over and bring myself back to the line of swimmers. Finally, I am there. I am rounding the orange buoy that marks the last 50 meters of the race. I've made it! I slip a bit on the rocks on the way out, but I stand up, hands to the back, wet suit down. Result: 14:08

Bike: 20 k. I jog to transition and look for my bike. But I am disoriented. I can't find my bike. David yells from the sidelines, "It's right in front of you! Right next to that girl!". He's yelling other things as I spot the blue bike, green towel. "Helmet on! Helmet on! Get going!" It's all on and I've got my bike. Shouts of "Mount past the line! Mount past the line!" register. I move past the line and I'm on the bike. I'm just going to smash this leg! I am so confident. I am screaming past one, two, three cyclists. As I make my way around the second lap, I hear David say, "use a bigger gear!" Immediately I feel hopeless but regain my confidence as I scream past more cyclists. Rounding the third lap, I change gears and, @!#$, I drop my chain. For some reason unknown to me, I try to fix my chain while I'm riding. I have absolutely no idea how to do this, but I keep trying until I slowly glide to the turn, dismount, and fix my chain there. It probably took me 2-3 minutes. What a dwebe!

4th and final lap. I am over the bridge and I look around. There's no-one on the course. Where is everyone? I thought I was doing so well?! Did I do an extra lap? I am discouraged and stop peddling to get my drink bottle and suck down some gel. Keep going, Adrienne. Your only competition is yourself. As I approach the dismount with shoes unclipped, I am afraid to stop. Confusion as cries of , "Dismount!!" fill my ears. Okay! I lean my bike over and crash onto the grass. A late dismount but they must take pitty on me because, to my knowledge, no penalty. Result: 48:56.







Run: 5k. Boy does this ever hurt!! I sing my survival song, "You put one foot in front of the other/and soon you'll be walking cross that floor/you put one foot in front of the other/and soon you'll be walking out the door". I sing it over and over and over - throughout the entire run. Result: 29:07

Finally, I am finished. I did it! David is there and the girls are there and I am just so happy. I drink water, eat oranges and talk. I can't believe I did it. I didn't stop. I kept going. To me, I am success. I did something that I didn't think I could do and I am happy. We eat, play and go home with thoughts of a well-deserved day of rest floating in my head. Result: 1:32:11.0

1 comment:

  1. I didn't see this part. I started on the starting out portion. This was terrific

    ReplyDelete